We all know it’s a dog-eat-dog world in the ‘trying to get a job’ dance that college grads are going through right now. With the addition of older more experienced professionals being laid off due to economic turmoil, it feels like an inexperienced kid out of college doesn’t have a chance.
However, that’s not the case. Here are five reasons why being a college grad entering the workforce right now is a good thing.
1) You are not tied down: A lot of unemployed people who are older are tied down by family and a home. They are not very willing to move. College grads usually don’t have that baggage weighing them down and can go where the jobs are. As long as you are willing to move, you increase your chances of finding a job. Check out our best places to find jobs in America blog.
2) You are cheap: While this may not sound like a positive, it is a definite plus for getting that first job. Lots of companies are looking to replace more expensive workers with younger people who can afford to work for less money, and also are willing to start out freelancing.
3) You are tech savvy: How many moms and dads do you know who can even program a DVD much less know how WordPress works? Younger people know their way around computers and other tech equipment and that makes you valuable in a lot of industries.
4) You are already multi-taskers: Four words that employers hate to hear are “That’s not my job”. Long time employees tend to be set in their ways and often find it harder to adapt to the realities of a new workplace.
5) You are a blank slate: Many employers like the fact that you are new, enthusiastic, and willing to be trained to do things the way a company wants them done.
So don’t worry; even though there is the stress that there are professionals out there who are more qualified for your position, you may have the leg up by being the young kid out of college.
Souce: AOL Find A Job